Monday, June 3, 2013

Welcome

Welcome to the No Fluff Marketing blog.  Why name my blog No Fluff Marketing, you may ask?  I have a background in accounting and finance and I have been in the world of marketing for the past 7 years. It’s been my experience that unlike finance and accounting, fluff is widely accepted in the marketing function. We all know that fluff is not tolerated in accounting and finance. In fact, there are governmental agencies that have been created to uncover accounting and finance fluff.  Fluff in accounting and finance has led to damaged corporate reputations, costly penalties and eroded shareholder value. Marketers, however, have been getting away with fluffy marketing for years. The consequences of fluffy marketing may not be as devastating as those of fluffy accounting, but it does result in ineffective product launches, irrelevant content and wasted marketing dollars.  Let’s face it.  All marketers across industries, at some time in their marketing career, have used fluffy marketing.

So why is marketing fluff a common practice in our industry? I would submit to you that the reason why so many marketers resort to using fluffy marketing is due to the lack of understanding of their customer market and product offering. As marketers, we have to get past the marketing lingo, aka fluff, and create relevant and compelling content that will motivate potential buyers to act. 

In a world where buyers are bombarded with hundreds of marketing messages a day, relevant content is king and there is simply no room for fluff. My goal with this blog is to take you in a journey where I cut through the marketing fluff and present best practices on how to spot marketing fluff and how to avoid it.

Why do you think there is so much marketing fluff?  

 

1 comment:

  1. I really like the purpose of your blog. Coming from a pure business background, I kind of feel identified with it. I look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete